Friday, May 21, 2010

Pay It Forward

A funny thing happened to me today. After work I was tired, worn out, and ragged, just wanting to go home so that I could eat and sleep. Well, a co-worker and good friend of mine wanted me to go pet shopping with her but not before we stopped off to get some gas. Naturally we got gas and stood there waiting, when two young women came up to us with a tiny gas can, begging us for any extra change or the chance to fill up the can so as to get their car started. (These two girls had no wallets and only one had her drivers liscense on her) Well my friend was kind enough to fill up the gallon sized can as they asked if they could please get a second filling just in case. With the first can being enough to start the car they were about to fill the can a second time.
I don't know exactly why I did it, but, seeing those two girls who really needed help; I stepped up. They had said that they still had a two hour drive ahead of them, so I decided to make a difference. I told them I would pay and was charged about $40 to fill up completely. They asked me my name and told me how greatful they were. Kari and Michael, as I found out their names after, even asked if it was okay to give me a hug. I said of course and told them good luck and wished them a safe trip as they repeated over and over how thankful they were and how they wished that they could pay me back.
An idea struck me then, from the movie, Pay It Forward. I asked them if they were familiar with the movie and only Kari said yes so I explained. I remember stating, "There is one thing I would ask you to do if you don't mind... Next time you get the chance; do something to help someone else even if it's small just help." They smiled and after having them say that they would and saying goodbye once again, I felt that what they had said about me being such a great person to help them, was false.
You see I didn't do it to be a hero, I didn't do it to be a saint either. I did that small little thing because they needed help. I will admit that the greatest reward was seeing that I had helped and that I had made a difference, as well as just receiving hugs in gratitude. So, the next time you see someone in need, help them and ask them to pass a kindness on. I challange all to do this, especially since it's not always the easiest but, and the funny thing is, you feel better about yourself and want to do it more often.
MY ADVICE: PAY IT FORWARD!!!

1 comment:

  1. I am very proud of you, Brit. My wish is that there will be a lot of people that take your advice and pay it forward!

    ReplyDelete